Welcome to 9jasalary News & Business Blog: Jonathan revealed that he would not be testifying in the ongoing trial of Olisa Metuh

Jonathan revealed that he would not be testifying in the ongoing trial of Olisa Metuh

A former president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, has explained why he would not be testifying in the ongoing trial of the past national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh.
In an application filed by the former president before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Jonathan said appearing as a witness in Metuh's trial will expose him to criminal trial.
He allayed fears that some individuals in President Muhammadu Buhari's administration are making several efforts "to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, Patience.
Jonathan through his lawyer, Mike Ozekhome, argued that the subpoena sought in for his appearance as a witness in Metuh's trial is in bad faith.

He also said the a testimony on the trial would amount to an invasion of his right to privacy and as such expose him to criminal charge, penalty or forfeiture.
In his motion supported with an affidavit deposed by Usman Salihu, a litigation secretary at the Ozekhome's firm, the former president also sought an order directing Metuh to deposit N1 billion to cover travelling expenses for himself and his security personnel from his home town , Otuoke in Bayelsa state to Abuja.
Salihu argued that the subpoena for Jonathan's appearance was vague and applied on frivolous grounds.
He added that Metuh was not a personal aide or an appointee of the former president and could not have dealt directly with Jonathan under any circumstance.

He said Jonathan also knew nothing about the charges levelled against the defendant.
But in his reaction, counsel to Metuh, Emeka Etiaba, told the court that the defendant's request to invite Jonathan as a witness had been misconstrued outside the court.
Etiaba said his client would sit with his media team to review the motion filed by Ozekhome on behalf of the former president.
“Efforts by the first defendant (Metuh) to avail himself of necessary evidence in his trial has been misconstrued outside this court and the first defendant feels very pained because of the dangerous insinuation that has been ascribed to his decision to call evidence that will help him to go through this phase of his life.
“May I finally submit that the first defendant will go through the application with us and take a decision on what to go with Ozekhome’s motion," he added.
Having heard the submissions by the counsels, Justice Abang adjourned the matter for Wednesday, November 1, for hearing on Jonathan's motion and that of the former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki.
The news was earlier reported Metuh had said he would never connive with anyone or group against the former president.
Metuh while reacting to claims by some Ijaw youths that he was conniving with some persons to get off the hook in his N400 million trial said, he never surrendered himself to the federal government and the EFCC to be used as a bait to trap Jonathan.
The former PDP spokesperson also said he has instructed his lawyers to revisit and review the subpoena for the appearance of the former president as a witness in his case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Best Ebooks that teach how to make money online and offline in Nigeria

  In credible Special Offer. OUTSTANDING INFORMATION Mini-Importation Business The Only  Genuine  Business On The Interne...